Day 10: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Join us every day as we develop the spiritual habit of reading God’s Word – The Divine Map and learn to follow the Divine Guide – the Holy Spirit as He navigates us through the confusing times we live with clarity and peace.
THE DIVINE MAP READING
Navigate 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (TLB)
“The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. It is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.”
Timothy had come to faith under the preaching of the Apostle Paul, and it wasn’t long before he was invited to join Paul on his missionary journeys. Timothy would, later, become a pastor and, because of this, it was essential that he learn how to lead and feed others. To do that, he first had to feed himself spiritually with the Word of God. The Bible is God’s divine map for leading us. As we read it and engraft its truth into our hearts, it has a transforming impact in four ways:
- It teaches us what is true.
- It makes us realize what is wrong in our lives.
- It straightens us out.
- It helps us to do what is right.
Paul said the Bible is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.
As you read God’s Word, practice praying it back to God. Personalize the passages you read into prayers that help you apply its truth in your life. For example, in our passage today, you could pray:
Heavenly Father, thank You for giving me the Bible to teach me what is true and to make me realize what is wrong in my life. Help me to apply Your truth in my life and to do what is right. Thank You that You’ve given me everything I need to do good to everyone. I pray the words that I read will become alive in my life. Help me to practice them through the power of Your Spirit.
- What is God showing you through today’s Bible reading?
- Review the four reasons for why God gave us His Word, and chart how God has used His word in your journey to teach you: what is true, to make you realize what is wrong in your life, to straighten you out, and to help you do what is right. How is God’s Word preparing you to see life from His point of view and equip you to do good to everyone?